How to Climb a Mountain – Checklist
- Contact employer. Investigate any life insurance.
- Contact lawyer. Get copies of the will and powers of attorney.
• Get advice on probating of will.
• Get deeds changed on any joint property.
- Contact insurance company immediately.
- Contact bank. Joint accounts, any investments, registered retirement savings plans (RRSP’s), etc. need to be transferred.
• Establish an estate account to be used for receiving insurance money and paying bills related to the estate.
- Pay all bills — credit cards, loans, etc.
- Cancel credit cards after they are paid in full.
- Cancel driver’s license.
- Contact hydro, gas company, phone company, etc.
- Apply for government death benefits, if applicable.
- Prepare final income taxes.
This is not a comprehensive list, and it will vary by country and individual. Most funeral homes are helpful in supplying the information needed.
— Ann Peachman