Life After Abortion-Telling Your Family
The following will help women tell their husbands, children, and other loved ones about their abortion.
- Pray long before sharing. Ask others to pray for you.
- Begin meditating on God’s promises in the Bible (Isaiah 41:10: “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand,” NIV). Allow God’s words to replace any fears you may have.
- Wait for God’s timing. Take into account that you may have an hour or five minutes, depending on your loved one’s attention span and reaction.
- Tell your spouse first and separately from the children. Give your husband time concerning his feelings. Then ask him for his thoughts about telling your children.
- Educate your family. Talk about your abortion views. The age of your children will determine the amount and type of information you give them. Share Scripture and biblical principles concerning the abortion issue. Tell how you came to know Christ as your personal Savior and why you feel so strongly about life. Allow time for their questions or comments.
- Share what you were feeling when you made your choice. Above all, be honest. Accepting and forgiving are easier than we think for those who love us.
Lezlie M. Winberry