Inside the Suicidal Person – Resources
- Believing in Ourselves: The Wisdom of Women Copyright © 1992. Armand Eisen, Andrews and McMeel a University Press Syndicate Co.
- CD-ROM “Suicide,” Microsoft Encarta © 1994. Microsoft Corporation, contributed by Jack D. Douglas and Frank Allen Jones Jr.
- CD-ROM Mosby Medical Encyclopedia © 1995 and San Francisco Suicide Prevention Web page © 1996. http://www.sfsuicide.org.
- “Possible Warning Signs” and “Pitfalls: What to Avoid,” San Francisco Suicide Prevention Web page © 1996 http://www.sfsuicide.org.
- San Francisco Suicide Prevention Web page © 1996 http://www.sfsuicide.org.
According to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, a division of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention . . .
- suicide took 31,284 Americans in 1995.
- more people die from suicide than from homicide in the United States.
- suicide is the ninth leading cause of death for all Americans and the third leading cause of death for young people aged 15-24.
- nearly 60% of all suicides are committed with a firearm.
- firearm-related suicides accounted for 96% of the increased suicide rate among black children and teenagers.
- in 1995, more than 90% of all suicides were among whites, with males accounting for 73% and females 18%.
- suicide among black youths 10-19 years, once uncommon, has increased sharply in recent years. From 1980-1995, 3,030 black youths committed suicide.
- black children 10-14 years and black teenagers 15-19 years have a greater suicide percentage increase than white children and teenagers.
- explanations for the increase in suicide rates among all youths include family breakdown, easier access to alcohol and illicit drugs, and easier lethal suicide methods.
San Francisco Suicide Prevention – http://www.sfsuicide.org
- What You Can Do
- Suicide: Myth or Fact?
- Evaluating suicide risk, warning signs, and pitfalls
Suicide and Suicide Prevention – http://www.psycom.net/depression.central.suicide.html
- Program to prevent youth suicide
Gunfree – http://www.gunfree.org
- Firearms and suicide
Suicide @rochford.org – http://www.rochford.org/suicide/
- Information and education
- Warning signs
- Essays about suicide
- Related sites, research tips
Human Services (states coming soon): Youth Suicide Prevention Kit – http://www.infoxchange.net.au/dhs/youth/suicide/
- Youth suicide information and advice
Association Of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 800-826-2950
Grief Recovery Helpline 800-445-4808
United Way Information Referrals & Crisis Help Line 800-233-4357
National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) HELPLINE 800-950-NAMI (6264)
National Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association 800-826-DMDA (3632)
National Foundation for Depressive Illness (NAFDI) 800-248-4381