Making Contact – Techniques
Techniques CONTACT people have used to save lives:
- Be supportive. Let the troubled person know he has done the right thing in talking to you.
- Non-judgmentally, empathetically, assure him you care about him, no matter what his situation may be.
- Encourage him to talk. Talking is a God-given relief.
- Try to discover his past successes, especially past coping techniques he has used that may help him now.
- Refer him to a crisis intervention hotline. If his troubles are on-going, suggest he talk to clergy or a counseling professional.
- Pray for him and with him.
Anna R. Hageman