Mind Games – If a loved one threatens violence
- Don’t think you can handle it alone. Contact a mental health organization, such as NAMI, and call a friend or neighbor to help.
- Don’t leave the person alone.
- List all peculiar behavior and behavior patterns: times, dates, length of pattern.
- List questions, suspicions, and fears to ask professionals.
- If the person refuses to see a professional, call or go yourself to get help and advice.
- Tell the authorities about any weapons (especially guns and knives) the person could use, especially if threatening to kill.
Susan J. Shelley